Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Church, Yard Sales and Other News

I'm currently working on a new post about our decision to change churches where I'll discuss the why, when and how.  But suffice it to say that we are now attending a different church Waco Family Baptist Church and feel completely at peace with our decision.  We are so excited about what this change may mean for our lives and the spiritual growth of our family!

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                   

I HEART YARD SALES!  I have never been an excellent yard-sale-shopper but am absolutely determined to get better.  I read a great post on Raising Olives blog and it helped me sort through a lot of the problems I was having.  For example, I would drive by a yard sale and see piles of junk on tables, write it off as *junk* and drive away quickly.  But now I try to stop. and. look. And low and behold I thought I did pretty well today!

Well, I won't be winning any awards for photography and please excuse the pile of books, coffee cup, unswept floor............
I purchased the following for myself: yellow dress shirt, blue dress shirt, blue floral skirt, red sweater, white sweater, purse and jean jacket with fur collar ( am I going to have to brush that thing regularly?)
For the boys: I found a tigger costume for Jacob (Mikey is going to be Pooh!) and I found 4 dress shirts for little Mikey. 
I spent a grand total of $20.  Not too shabby in my eyes and way cheaper than goodwill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news......it's hot.  Getting over 100 now but I thank God everyday it is not a repeat of last summer with 30 days of 100 and over. 

With the help of my mother I have filled my flower beds and pots and added some hanging planters to our new rent house.  Her green thumb go me started, if only I can keep my brown thumb from killing them. 

Potty training is a disaster.  We were doing good for a while and then not so good.  *sigh* I try to remind myself that he will learn and he won't wear diapers forever. 

Mikey's first two teeth came in last Sunday---during church.  I discovered this when he latched down on my finger in the middle of the service.  Ouch.  The little fella handled it okay and is well on his way to chewing on everything.

I've been reading Family Driven Faith by Voddie Bauchman.  I love this book. I am amazed at how technologically behind I am....did you know there were e-books?  That there are books that cost less and can be read on your computer?  Woah.....this is cool.  There will be a post coming on this book for sure.

Well, that's a wrap for now, the kiddos are in bed, the hubby's on call and I am t-i-r-e-d.. 

God Bless, 
Melodie












4 comments:

  1. Waco?? I have family in Teague. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's pretty close to us. We've been here a few years and I still barely know the area. = ) But I love it here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to your post about changing churches. My husband and I did the same thing last year and while it was a really difficult decision we were confident we were headed in the direction God was leading us.

    I LOVE yard sales. Looks like you found some awesome stuff! I do have to be careful when I go out. I used to bring stuff home & then wonder why I bought it. It was such a 'deal' but then I'd never use it. So, I try to have a purpose in mind when I'm out yardsaling now and have a few items in mind that I actually need. I still pick up surprise deals, but I think a lot harder about if I will use it for real or not.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been prayerfully considering changing churches for almost a year now. It's hard for us though, because with Brian being in the Army we change churches with each move...and it's just been hard deciding whether we even should switch with only a little under a year left here...

    I need to get off the computer now...but I look forward to coming back and reading your series.

    ReplyDelete