Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Homemaker Does Not Equal Slave

 ."Holy Clean Laundry Batman! That's A Lot of Work!"**


We will be heading home the first weekend of September to visit family and stop off at the school I attended/worked at to see friends and I am nervous...
See, since we moved thing have changed in our lives....I have become a completely different person.

It's very hard to find anything in common with the people I once called friends and now we can see ourselves set apart from our families. It saddens me but at the same time I realize this is what God wants "to leave and cleave" its referred to. And boy did it make a difference in us!

I guess in preparation for the onslaught of probing questions and feminist/cultural ideology I like to kind of dwell on what makes us....us. I found some excellent articles and videos this morning that remind me WHY we do the things we do as a family, WHY we set ourselves apart.

I don't know anything about Dr. Steve Haltzman other than he is an author, but I do like this quote I heard on a clip of the Rachael Ray show. The topic was "1950's housewives" and showcases Courtney who blogs at Women Living Well. (check out her site, its wonderful!)

"..you don't feel like you're slave to a man, you feel like you are the master of your household" Dr. Steve Haltzman.

I really liked his wording and the point he was trying to make. Homemakers like Courtney or I for that matter are NOT SLAVES to our husbands. No where in the Word does God say that we are to be either. We are to be "helpers". It just burns my biscuit when feminists get all frazzled over this Biblical lifestyle and say that we are being "demeaned", "used" that we are "slaves" and "doormats".

Submitting to a husband does not mean that you can't disagree or have an opinion, its all about respect. I KNOW for a fact that I am emotional and fickle, while my husband is level headed and confident. I KNOW that my husband makes wiser decisions that I do, I know that I can be easily misled. "Who says?!" you ask? GOD SAYS, PEOPLE, GOD SAYS. You cannot go over or around the MANY references in scripture pertaining to this God given instruction. SUBMIT.

I feel fulfilled in a homemaker because its my JOB. Just as my husband heads off to work at 6:30 every morning to face long hours filled with toil, I too have a job to do that day. I may not have to punch in and I don't put up with office politics (praise God) but I have a very important job that my husband leaves me to do. I care for our children (read legacy), I run our house and I help build a home and haven so that when he gets done with that job he WANTS to come home.

He does not put me down, order me around or take advantage of me. I feel fulfilled and happy doing the work God has set before me to do.

Wow, I did not realize how worked up over this topic I was...back to our visit.

It's so hard in our society to be a homemaker and not be put down. Especially if you are young and newly married. I feel like homemakers have to be on a constant defensive as to why we chose this as a family and that my husband didn't force me into it. So I will try to be confident during this fun time with family and friends. Most importantly I will lean on my husband and God for support.

How do you tell people when they ask about your decision to stay home? To home school? To not vaccinate? To have home birth?

I feel a series of posts coming on.........


** I usually post photo credits but can't find for the life of me where I got this image, I just know I've had it for a long time.

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I can relate to the uneasiness about seeing people again who remember you as a completely different person than you are today. I actually find myself avoiding places that I think I might run into old friends. Not because I'm embarrassed of who I am now, but because I don't want to dredge up the past. I think I eventually need to get beyond that.

    Anyway, this is a great post . And, I for one , would look forward to a series if you wrote one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will remember to pray for you, sister.

    I would be feeling the same. I sometimes find myself wishing to avoid old friends because they don't realize yet they don't me anymore, and I am quite sure they will feel disappointed that I am not the person they remember. It has happened to me before. (It would be even tougher with family!)

    Now, I am also quite sure that mine is the wrong attitude and I should be thinking of them instead of myself. My LORD would want me to show them my new self and even suffer their derision with a glad heart. It is just hard to think about doing.

    Thank you for this post reminding me of the attitude I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. That is a tough situation. But it was made for all the right reasons, good for you! I feel fulfilled in my role too, so many people just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. All I can say is amen to this, you have already covered it all I couldn't agree more. Thanks sharing this post.

    So glad I stopped by. I read your about me section and it just gave me goosebumps. I think "newly recovered feminist, Christian wife to a wonderful man and mommy of two blessings with hopes of more" is a powerful, encouraging testimony in a few short words.

    ReplyDelete